Permission to improve property

November 27, 2018

Property improvements process

If you would like to make a change to your home such as installing a satellite dish, Foxtel connection, pergola or air conditioner, you need to first get approval from Foundation Housing by detailing what you plan to do in a Tenant Improvement Request – Alterations and Additions form.   You can get one of these from your Housing or Lodging Coordinator or download it here from our website.

Pools are among those improvements that you need approval from Foundation Housing AND the local council for before setting up.  This applies to all private swimming and spa pools that are more than 300mm deep.  Anything deeper than this must have a compliant barrier (fence) installed that restricts access by young children to the pool and its immediate surrounds. This also applies to above ground pools like those sold at Bunnings and Clark Rubber.

Council fines from $5000 to $50,000 will apply when:

  • approval has not been given by the council to install a pool
  • a non-compliant fence has been installed around the pool
  • there is no fence around the pool.

Please advise your Housing Coordinator if you are planning on installing one of these pools or spas to commence the approval process.