Starting Your Tenancy

Starting a Tenancy Agreement

What is a Tenancy Agreement?

  • A Tenancy Agreement or Lease is a written or verbal agreement between you and your landlord (Foundation Housing). It includes information about how much rent you will pay and when the agreement will end.
  • If the Tenancy Agreement is in writing, you will need to sign and return a copy to your landlord or agent. They will also sign the agreement and send you a copy within 14 days.

What is a Bond?

  • A bond is a payment you pay before you move in. You should get the bond back at the end of the tenancy if there is no damage to the home and you are up to date with your rent payments.
  • The landlord or agent will send you a form to sign and return. They will give you a receipt for your bond.
  • If pets are allowed, you may be asked to pay a Pet Bond.

Property Condition Report

  • The Property Condition Report is your chance to list anything in the home that is broken or in poor condition when you move in.
  • You can add photos to the Property Condition Report and will need to return one copy to the landlord or agent within 7 days of receiving it.
  • For more information on Property Condition Reports, visit the downloads below.

Tenancy Advocates

  • Circle Green Community Legal Tenant Advocates help people who rent their homes to resolve tenancy problems. They may do this by helping you to understand your rights, and by giving advice and guidance.
  • If you would like to speak to a Tenant Advocate, you can call (08) 6148 3636 or visit